Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It Was 29 Years Ago Today

"I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of
one car, and into another." -- John Lennon

It was 29 years ago today that John was shot to death outside The Dakota, where he lived in NYC. I distinctly remember nothing about that day. I didn't hear about the shooting until the next day, as he died around 11 pm New York time, and it was already Tuesday the 9th in the UK at that point.



If you were to ask me what my favourite Lennon/Beatles song was, I would be hard pushed to pick just one. I would instead tell you what my favourite Beatles album was, because I feel (and remember, all you rabid Beatles fans, this is just an opinion!) that it stands head and shoulders above the rest, and that is Revolver. Why? because I think it is the most complete. What I mean is, I love all the songs on it. There is not one duff track. Other Beatles albums are great, but Revolver is awesome. Arguably the first 'psychedelic' album, to me it represents the apex of their career, with all is experimentation, different recording techniques, instrumentation, not to mention songwriting ability (especially for George, who contributed three songs to this one). And what is the quintessential Lennon track on said album? It has to be the final track... Tomorrow Never Knows.



1 comment:

  1. For me it's Abbey Road but Revolver is a very close second. Both awesome. And my favourite Beatles track? Well I've spent countless hours listening to their music, but it has to be "Here Comes the Sun" written by .....George Harrison.

    Rupert

    ReplyDelete

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...