Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gettin' Steamy

I was pondering in the shower this morning, as I often do, (ponder, that is.... and shower too) about singing in the shower. What is it that drives us to sing in the shower? For me, one reason is the acoustics. Bathroom ambience is usually pretty echo-laden, giving even the crappiest voice that 'stadium' quality. We imagine ourselves at some big arena singing to an adoring throng... but then I thought, nah. That can't be it. There have to be other reasons than acoustics alone. Often, my choice of song is based on acoustics, but sometimes I find myself singing something so twee and un-stadium-like (such as The Teddy Bears' Picnic), that there has to be some other perhaps unconscious logic behind my choice of sudsy anthem. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would be mortified to think that anyone has heard them even sing one note, yet as soon as that hot water comes on and the steam rises, suddenly they are Sinatra for 5 minutes.

This is why I would like to do a little poll with you, dear reader. (Thinks "anything to get some more feedback on the ol' blog! Heh heh!") In the comments box, I would like you to submit your favorite "shower song" choices, and the reason you like to sing them. I'll even start you off.

This morning's choice of soapsong happened to be OMD's "Maid Of Orleans". The acoustics in the bathroom happen to amplify bass notes nicely, so it was when I put the bottle of body wash down on the shower floor I noticed the nice 'thudd!' and started testing other things for similar sounds. It was when I tapped my sternum with the side of my thumb, a la Bobby McFerrin, and got the same effect, I started emulating the kick drum at the intro to this song. As chance would have it, I know all the words, and entertained the whole neighborhood with this '80s classic. Oh yes, did I mention that I have made a fool of myself so many times in front of people that I am beyond caring what people think? If you didn't know that, well, now ya do.

I do have some favorites. Here's a partial list.

The Walker Brothers - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore and No Regrets
Jet Harris & Tony Meehan - Diamonds and Scarlett O'Hara (Okay, these are instrumentals, but I can hum, can't I?)
The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays, Rat Trap, and Someone's Looking At You
XTC - Senses Working Overtime
The The - Slow Train To Dawn
Human League - Love Action/Hard Times and The Lebanon
Sisters Of Mercy - Dominion/Mother Russia and This Corrosion
Bing Crosby - pretty much any Bing song
The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Most Muppet Show songs
The Beatles - For No One


Now, go to it, people. And while you do... here is that classic song in all its power and glory.


2 comments:

  1. For complicated reasons I am unable to shower or bath(I do wash,it's OK) but I do sing in the car,sometimes to the radio,sometimes not.Today the radio was playing the fantastic Bing version of Swinging on a Star.I do get funny looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my anthem today happened to be a Bing number also - "Christmas In Killarney".

    ReplyDelete

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...