Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas

I can't really broach the subject of Christmas music without addressing the songs of Stan Boreson. When I was married the first time around I lived in Washington State which is, without doubt, my favourite place to be. I have not been there since a short visit in 2003, so I am kinda Jonesing for some WA in my life.  Christmas was not complete without my father-in-law Gordon, who grew up in Alaska and whose parents were Norwegian, pulling out his copy of Stan Boreson and Doug Setterberg's "I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas" album and playing it at least once or twice. The first time I heard it I thought "what the heck is this??" but on repeated listening it grows on you until you find yourself singing the songs in the shower.



Stan started out with his funny songs when someone dared him to sing a traditional American song in a Scandinavian dialect. He has been a popular performer in the Northwest for many years and has recorded many albums and made many TV appearances.
The best tracks on this CD are the title track, and "Uncle Sven Is Coming To Town", "Ragnar The Flat-Nosed Reindeer" and "Ho,Ho, Ho, Don't Ever Go", the latter being an ode to the joys of putting up a new antenna on your roof during the winter.

So get out your pickled herring and a bottle of Akvavit, pull up a chair, crank up the old PC and sing along with "Walking In My Winter Underwear".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...