Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

100 Records That Shook The World, # 61

Revolver (LP)

The Beatles
This is my favourite Beatles album, and not just because my Mum played it when I was little and I used to gurgle to 'Eleanor Rigby' in my pram. To me, this represents the pinnacle of the Fab Four's studio work. I like their other stuff, don't get me wrong, but I love this one the best. I know I'm not alone in this. Rolling Stone magazine placed it at #3 in their list of 500 greatest albums of all time, just below Sgt. Pepper's  and the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.

Released in 1966, before their last tour, during which they didn't play any of the Revolver songs, due to the impossibility of replicating any of the multi-layered overdubs and complex arrangements on stage, particularly the stark compressed sound of the string octet in Rigby  and the reverse guitar, processed vocals and looped tape effects of Tomorrow Never Knows.




The album contains many of their classics, such as Got To Get You Into My Life, Good Day Sunshine, Taxman and Yellow Submarine. It is certainly one of the greatest studio achievements in rock history. 

Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this one is a winner, for sure :) One of my favorites as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...