Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Repost: A Musical Morning!


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Musical Morning!
And I don't mean musical as in 'Carousel', 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers', or even 'Grease', I just mean musical. Although, that would make an interesting post, with a poll... what's your favourite Broadway musical? etc. No, I mean I've just been listening to some interesting music this a.m. while taking the kids to school, driving to the store etc. The first CD I plucked from my case was one I put together a few years ago, titled 'NWOBHM'. For those of you not 'in the know' that stands for New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, and refers to that late 70s, early 80s period in the UK when all kinds of new HM bands sprung up, including Motorhead, Judas Priest, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Girlschool, and lesser-known bands such as Witchfynde, Venom, Angelwitch, and Dumpy's Rusty Nuts. Seriously.








Anyway, I won't go into detail suffice it to say I was doing some serious headbanging (well, as much headbanging as one can do while driving a minivan at 70mph on the freeway).The next CD I put on the player was another one I burned way back when entitled "80's Inna UK Stylee" which included the following slices of pop heaven:




'Kiss' by Age Of Chance. This band was an alternative rock-dance crossover band from Leeds. This song reached #1 in the UK indie chart but only managed #50 on the regular chart, despite John Peel being one of their early champions. Still, I love their take on Prince's 'Kiss' and it still rocks.


'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images. There are several reasons to love this. Firstly, Clare Grogan, who had been featured in Bill Forsyth's movie Gregory's Girl, was (and, as far as I know, still is) HOT! Secondly, it was featured in the classic John Hughes movie Sixteen Candles. Thirdly, John Peel loved them and Steve Severin of Siouxsie and the Banshees produced it. Lastly, it's just so dang catchy.




'(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang' by Heaven 17. English DJ Mike Read has a history of banning songs for whatever reason, and because of its overtly political lyrics, this song irked him sufficiently. That, for me, would be enough reason to like it, but it's just so funky it's hard not to.


'That's Love That It Is' by Blancmange. This is a great track from a great band that evidently have recently reformed and are putting together material for a new album. Hurrah!




'Drowning In Berlin' by The Mobiles. This may be the best band from Eastbourne ever. Apparently David (bass) and Anna Maria (vocals) both got fired from their day jobs because they took a day off to be on Top Of The Pops.


'I'm In Love With A German Film Star' by The Passions. The archetype of a one-hit wonder, this dreamy synth-europop song has been covered by such different acts as Pet Shop Boys and Foo Fighters.






'The Last Film' by Kissing The Pink. This band started as post-punk, then avant-garde, and gradually became more club-friendly. They still like to mix musical styles and are still out there playing.






'Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune)' by It's Immaterial. John Campbell puts his foot down on the pedal – ever so gently – to cruise out along the M62. A Mini-Midwestern road movie transported to Liverpool. - Du Noyer, C. (2002) "Liverpool: Wonderous Place", Virgin Books, London, p. 264. Says it all really.



and lastly 'Cry Boy Cry' by Blue Zoo.
I can already hear a lot of my contemporaries groaning. I don't care. I like it.Alright. See ya tomorrow.
Posted by Jeff Hickmott at 7:32 AM 1 comments
Reactions:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...