Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Sunday, November 3, 2013

100 Records That Shook The World, #10

You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)


Dead Or Alive



Dead or Alive was a British dance-pop group which found fame thanks to the antics of androgynous frontman Pete Burns. Formed in Liverpool in 1980 after Pete's stints with The Mystery Girls and Nightmares In Wax, they debuted with the Ian Broudie-produced Doors soundalike "I'm Falling." "Number Eleven" followed, but just as the group was gaining momentum, they were swept aside by the emergence of the New Romantic movement, with Burns subsequently charging that fellow androgyne Boy George of Culture Club had merely stolen his outrageous image.

Burns reworked the Dead or Alive lineup including future Mission U.K. guitarist Wayne Hussey and bassist Mike Percy. Over the course of the next couple of years the group evolved into a true dance band and ultimately landed with major-label Epic. A series of singles appeared during 1983, including "Misty Circles" and "What I Want"; Hussey left for The Sisters Of Mercy, and the lineup comprising Burns, Percy, keyboardist Tim Lever, and drummer Steve Coy scored their first major hit, a 1984 cover of KC & the Sunshine Band's classic stomper "That's the Way (I Like It)" which made the British Top 30.

Sophisticated Boom Boom was the group's full-length debut and it fared well with audiences, but it was  in early 1985 with the Hi-NRG smash "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)," the first number one hit for the production team of Stock, Aitken & Waterman. The succeeding LP, Youthquake, was also a smash, yielding further hits in the form of the singles "Lover Come Back to Me," "In Too Deep," and "My Heart Goes Bang."

The success was never repeated, although "You Spin Me Round" has been re-released several times and made the charts on each occasion, especially during Pete Burns' infamous stint on Celebrity Big Brother.

Enjoy.




P.S. You've all probably heard about Pete Burns' ongoing cosmetic surgery. Here's what he looks like now...


4 comments:

  1. Usually, Mr. Hickmott, I'm on board with your "100 Records That Shook The World."

    However, in this particular case - regardless of the fact I'm a digger of Dead Or Alive - I must disagree with you on this particular artist's disc.

    DoA just wasn't "shake-worthy" ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've mentioned before, this list of 100 records is not of my choosing - it was from a British music magazine, now sadly defunct, from the early 90's, called VOX. They issued this list and I agreed with most (but not all) of their selections (see my entry as regards The Band). I am merely sticking to the list. However, I do think that Dead Or Alive were a major influence on Hi-NRG, Nu-Disco and Techno.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeff. I'm currently going through the list of 100 Records That Shook The World and posting them in a music appreciation site I am co-manager of. I'm an avid music fan myself and have many CDs and albums. I am unemployed at the moment so can't afford to buy more CDs or downloads. However, this does mean that I am going back to my own collection of records from all ages. I like everything from 1920s onwards and have many jazz, blues, folk, rock & pop records. My fave era is the mid 60s to mid 70s for rock and pop. Jazz was best in the mid 50s to late 60s and folk early 60s to mid 70s.
    Forgive me rattling on here.

    Col ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin, forgive my tardiness in replying but I've been rather neglectful of the blog as of late, especially checking to see if anyone has made a comment! I like your page, it's very good indeed! The reason I've been letting the blog go to seed a bit is that I now produce a weekly podcast in addition to everything else i do, and my job keeps me busy too. If you've not heard the show, i encourage you to go to jeffhickmott.podomatic.com and take a listen. Cheers mate!

      Delete

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...