Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Story Challenge: Michael Noble

My Christmas story challenge was to write a festive-themed tale in 1000 words or less, using as many English words with Greek or Latin origins as possible. As it turns out, this is not too tricky, since about half of all the words in use in the English language have their roots in Latin or Greek. The tricky part is identifying them all!

I wrote a story and so did my good friend and fellow Unbelievable Michael Noble. Here is his story.


Present


2 minutes in ...

This might have been a bad idea. I can't see anything.

5 minutes in ...

Seriously ... I can't see a damned thing. Just take a deep breath and remain calm.

20 minutes in ...

Who decides to challenge their worst fear during the holidays? A time of camaraderie and friendship and family and reflection?

30 minutes in ...

Better yet, who in their right mind seals themselves in a closed box when one has claustrophobia? Shhhhhhhh ... relax ... just breathe ...

40 minutes in ...

Damn, it's dark in here ... of course it's dark in here. I'm inside a box.

45 minutes in ...

It's getting stuffy. I didn't think to leave any air holes in this thing. Of course it's getting stuffy. I can feel my own breath making it humid and warm. Seriously: What was I thinking?

An hour in ...

It didn't help that the adhesive I used to completely seal the bottom of this thing made it airtight. Calm down, don't think about it.

An hour and 5 minutes in ...

I was only focused on taking command of my fear, proving I could master it, finally coming to terms with the fact there was nothing to be afraid of when it came to closed spaces. Isn't that what they say? To face your fear, conquer it?

An hour and 15 minutes in ...

And I have! I've been in this damned thing for over an hour! At least I think it's been an hour.

An hour and 25 minutes in ...

Yeah ... it's been an hour at least. And the overwhelming darkness isn't affecting me! The fact I can hold my hand an inch before my face and can't see a single thing doesn't freak me out! I'm unable to hear anything outside because the soundproofing I used was the best I could find! I can't hear anyone outside, no one can hear me in here! And I'm not panicking at all. I think I did it! I think I've taken control of my fear! I'll just sit here quietly for a little longer to make sure ...

An hour and 40 minutes in ...

Wait ... has it even been an hour since I put myself in here? Maybe it's been two. That's why I left my watch off, so I wouldn't be tempted to look at it and slowly ramp myself up into a frenzy when I realized my situation. But it's got to be a couple hours, right? Just breathe ...

An hour and 45 minutes in ...

Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh ...

2 hours in ...

Yeah ... it's stuffy in here for sure. I think I've used up all my oxygen ... but that really doesn't happen, right? I mean ... I'm in a box, not a metal container. There has to be tiny little openings for air to get in somewhere ...

2 hours 10 minutes in ...

I'm getting so tired. And I have a little headache forming. It's so stuffy in here! But I'm calm. And sooooo tired ...

2 hours 18 minutes in ...

I just realized why I'm so tired. I'm not getting any air. I've been breathing my own carbon dioxide ever since I put myself in here ... it's hard to think ... I'm just going to take a nap ...

4 days later ...

"She's not answering. It's a good thing I have her extra key so we can leave her presents for her ..."

They opened the door to her apartment and put the presents beneath the tree in the corner of the room. That's when they saw the huge box in the middle of the kitchen.

"Look ... she doesn't even have all her Christmas presents wrapped yet ..."

"Well, where is she?"

"I don't have any idea. You know how she goes off on a tangent and disappears for days on end. It doesn't matter when, either. You'd think during the Christmas season it would be different ... but not with her. We'll hear from her when she's good and ready ..."

"Let's look in the box and see what's inside since she hasn't wrapped it yet."

"No! If she found out she'd never forgive us. We'll find out soon enough ..."


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must contain as many English words with Latin/Greek origins as you can logically cram in.

minute: Medieval Latin minūta, noun use of feminine of minūtus
idea: 1400–50; < Late Latin < Greek idéā form, pattern, equivalent to ide- (stem of ideîn to see) + -ā feminine noun ending
family: Latin familia a household, the slaves of a household, equivalent to famul(us ) servant, slave + -ia
reflection: Late Latin reflexiōn- (stem of reflexiō ) a bending back, equivalent to Latin reflex(us ) (see reflex) + -iōn- -ion
claustrophobia: 1875–80; < Latin claustr(um ) bolt (see claustrum) + -o- + -phobia
damn: Latin damnāre to condemn, derivative of damnum damage, fine, harm
seal: Late Latin *sigellum, Latin sigillum, diminutive of signum sign;
focus: 1635–45; < Latin: fireplace, hearth
command: Medieval Latin commandāre, equivalent to Latin com- com- + mandāre to entrust,
master: Latin; akin to magnus great
affect: Latin affectus acted upon, subjected to; mental or emotional state (past participle and action noun of afficere )
quiet:  Latin quiētus, past participle of quiēscere (see quiescent)
tempt: Latin temptāre to probe, feel, test, tempt
calm: Late Latin cauma summer heat (with l perhaps from Latin calēre to be hot) < Greek kaûma (stem kaumat- ) burning heat; akin to kaíein to burn (see caustic)
tangent:  Latin tangent- (stem of tangēns, present participle of tangere to touch)
different: Latin different- (stem of differēns ), present participle of differre.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...