Blah

Rubbish, piffle, tommyrot, drivel and utter bilge

Friday, April 16, 2010

Weather, and Madness


Is it me or is everyone stark staring bonkers?

I know it's not me.

I was getting ready for work this morning, watching the BBC Breakfast Prog, eating my muesli and supping caffeine for all I was worth, all the while semi-listening to the weather forecast from the lovely Carol Kirkwood* (oh, how I do adore Carol and the way she says 'Inglind', 'Scotlind' and 'Northern Arlind' in her Inverness-shire lilt) and the talk about the volcano in Iceland that has spewed a frickin' great ash cloud all over the show, causing all flights in the UK to be cancelled (well, most of them anyway). I was only semi-listening because I was looking out the window at the giant dark grey cloud looming in the sky outside. I really didn't give it too much thought until I went outside the front door.

"Phwore," I said to Mum. "You smell that?"
"What, you mean that sulphur smell?" She said.
That was exactly what I meant.
To my mind, a dark cloud and a sulphur smell mean only one thing.
Volcano.
Anyone who has seen Dante's Peak (one of my guilty pleasures) more than once will tell you. Sulphur is a tell-tale volcanic smell.

When I got to work at Sissinghurst and got out of the car I smelt it again. "Phew," I said to no-one. "What a honk."
Well, either my mother and I have super sensitive schnozzolas or everyone is off their chump. Because everyone I mentioned it to looked at me like I'd just walked in with a giant purple pelican on my head. They had no clue what I was talking about. But I know if I was not the only person to smell it, either we're crazy or they are.

Anyway... my mate Sarah had a vacation lined up but now is grounded due to the volcanic flight problem. Sarah is one person who could really use one right now, too. Not fair, is it?

*Carol is not the only weather presenter I enjoy watching. Here are my other faves:


Kaye Forster.



































Then there's the comely Kaddy Lee-Preston.

















Oh my.














Looks a bit nippy in the studio today.









But without a doubt my fave has to be the adorable Nazaneen Ghaffar.

























Hot-cha!!

Never let it be said that the weather is dull.

1 comment:

  1. On and off over recent years I've been trying to put a name to the weather presenter who used to be on BBC 'East Midlands Today' of which my late father used to be very fond, especially loving the bits when she twirled her head around with her long, dark locks swinging out and settling back down, so thanks for reminding me that it was Kaye Forster.

    I had a rather 'exotic' favourite back around the turn of the Millennium in the shape of Flemish TV's Sabine Hagedoren, whom I discovered on the 'weer' ('weather') section of the 'Gazet van Antwerpen' site. One hasn't really lived until one has watched Sabine present the weather in that trademark soft Flemish lilt, unlike the rather harsher-sounding standard Dutch.

    ReplyDelete

Complaints, comments, questions, concerns, missing or broken links, etc?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...